Thank You Pump Station for Joining OPA as a “Gold Business Member”! We encourage all community members to share their appreciation with them for their community support. If other businesses are interested in joining, business memberships range from $50-$250 and include a variety of benefits. Individual and family memberships start at only $10! More details here or reply to this newsletter with any questions.
Updated Renderings for New Office Building at 3016 Main St: This UrbanizeLA report has pics and other details for the planned parking lot conversion.
Ozone Park History: This week’s Street Seen explores the history of the small neighborhood park on the border of Santa Monica and Venice.
Portions of PCH in SaMo Closed Tuesday and Wednesday This Week: The City is is proactively performing an emergency removal of an unstable portion of the bluffs. More details here along with alternate routes.
Guide to Talking to Someone Experiencing Homelessness: This Santa Monica Next write up gives tips for how to interact when you feel it is “safe to do so and you believe the intervention can help the person experiencing homelessness.”
Save the SMPD Non-Emergency Phone # to your Contacts:
Things To Do This Week:
- Active Aging Transit Workshop & Outing – MOCA (Wednesday 9:30a.m.): “Learn more about using transit and walking in Santa Monica by joining us for the Active Aging Transit Workshop + Outing to the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA).” More details here.
- Social Service Assistance provided by Providence St. John’s Community Health Program (Tuesday, 9:30a.m.- 5p.m.): “The trained Providence St. John’s staff can assist with enrollment in CalFresh, the state of California’s food subsidy program created to improve the nutrition of families through access to healthy foods. Staff can also help navigate enrollment or questions for MediCal and Medicare.” More details here.
- Olive Oil Tasting (Tuesday 6:30p.m. @ Brentwood Branch Library): More details here.
- An Evening with Colson Whitehead (Wednesday 8p.m. @ New Roads School, 3131 Olympic Blvd.): The two-time Pulitzer Prize winner will be discussing his latest novel, Crook Manifesto, a kaleidoscopic portrait of 1970s Harlem. More details here. Let me know if you are going, because I will be there too.
- Tech & Tasks (Thursday 2-4p.m.): Need a little help? This program offers one-on-one assistance from SMPL tutors. Staff and volunteers can assist with reading, writing, and technology related tasks. Drop-in to get help with completing online forms and applications, resume writing, device help, improving reading skills, email, downloading eBooks, and much more. More details here.
- SaMo Public Library Presents Author Charles Fleming on Secret Stairs & Secret Walks (Thursday 5:30p.m. @ Main Library): The author and veteran journalist will tell stories from his books Secret Stairs: A Walking Guide to the Historic Staircases of Los Angeles and Secret Walks: A Walking Guide to the Hidden Trails of Los Angeles. This program celebrates the launch of the Library’s newest RED (Read Engage Discover) Kit, which includes walking poles, a DVD copy of L.A. Story, and several books, including Fleming’s Secret Walks, reflecting the theme, “Walking in L.A.” A book sale and signing follow the program. More details here.
OPA & City Meetings:
- Airport Commission Meeting (Monday 7pm):More details & agenda here.
- City Council Meeting (Tuesday @ 5:30 pm – public portion starts closer to 6:30 pm):Meetings are hybrid and can be viewed on this YouTube channel. Click here for agenda.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar. Mayor Gleam Davis is expected to join this week.