OPA Monthly Meeting TONIGHT: Join us on Alfafa’s back patio @ 2309 Main St TONIGHT/Monday June 12 @ 6:30pm! Salads provided by OPA. We will also be hybrid on Zoom. Click here to add to your calendar. Here is the Zoom link to join the meeting starting at 7:00pm and here is the schedule:
- 6:30-7:00: Dinner and Socializing
- 7:00-7:15: SMPD Update
- 7:15-7:45: SMPD Police Chief Batista will be attending in person to discuss all things law enforcement
- 7:45-8:30: Board Agenda: Click here to view
Sale of Cannabis and Shortage of Water Expected to the Focus of Tuesday’s City Council Meeting: On the agenda is a presentation on key policy considerations for allowing adult-use cannabis businesses and other non-retail cannabis business types in the city. This SMDP article details the topics “on tap” at this week’s meeting. Details below on how to join live or virtually. SMDP also posted this article discussing Local Cannabis Company @ 925 Wilshire Blvd that recently opened, six years after the original application request.
LA Housing Forum – Deconflating L.A.’s Homeless and Mental Health Crises? This recording of KCRWs Anna Scott exploring the city’s housing crisis this summer from a range of perspectives, untangling this complex, but ultimately solvable issue. The third of four monthly forums asks “Where is the Money?” and will be held 7/11 at the Hammer Museum in Westwood.
2023 Summer Reading: “SANTA MONICA READS All Summer”: “Sign up in person starting June 10 at the Main Library, Montana Avenue Branch, or Pico Branch, or click here to register online and learn about our free summer events for everyone, from babies to adults. This summer we are challenging our community to read 600,000 minutes.”
Vucacious Catering Re-Opens Storefront @ 1828 Lincoln Blvd: Here’s the Facebook page for Chef Kim Vu’s place. She is a Cal Tech trained scientist turned chef!
The Street Seen – Nat Goodwin’s House: Goodwin was an actor and vaudevillian in the early 1900’s this is the history of his impressive property at 2501 Ocean Front Walk @ Hart.
Things To Do This Week:
- “The Continued Struggle for Emancipation: A Juneteenth Discussion” (Wednesday 4:30p.m. – 6:30p.m.): The panel discussion will focus on Juneteenth and how Black Americans are still fighting to be emancipated. More details here.
- Downtown Santa Monica Inc. (DTSM) Hosting “Connect Day” to Promote Homelessness Resources (Thursday 10a.m.-3p.m.): The event is intended to bring together local service providers in one location to share resources with people experiencing homelessness or at risk of becoming homeless and will take place at St. Monica’s Catholic Church. More details on how to volunteer here.
- Third Thursday at Ten Women Gallery (Thursday 6p.m. – 8:30p.m.): “Bring a project and get creative at Ten Women Gallery on Main Street every third Thursday of the month. Meet artists, enjoy some delicious snacks and camaraderie and watch a special craft demo! This event is free and open to the public.” More details here.
- Main Library ‘Appy Hour’ Device Workshop (Thursday 3:30-4:30pm): Bring in your smartphone, laptop or tablet to get help with using your device. More details here.
- Group Art Show: FORAGE (June 10th-28th): Dorado @ 806 Broadway is featuring 40+ emerging and established artists exploring the concept of foraging in all its forms. Wednesday night features musical performances too. More details here.
OPA & City Meetings: