OPA Housing Committee (Renters + Homeless) Meeting TONIGHT/Monday @ 5-6 at Alfalfa on Main St.: We explore, discuss, and inform the board about the interconnected nature of housing; from those experiencing homelessness to homeowners. At our first meeting we welcome those interested in defining goals for 2024. Last year we heard from SMRR, met with LCI (Livable Communities Initiative), and attended forums on what drives Homelessness in LA. We also coordinated with the SMPD to train residents on city services for the homeless and created magnets with phone numbers to take action. Reply to this email if you’re interested in getting involved in this or any other committee.
Pasjoli Chef’s New Concept Expected to Open By End of Summer: This report has details and quotes Chef Dave Beran stating “This is the tasting restaurant I’ve wanted to make for so long. We’re still working on the dishes, but it will be a tasting menu experience with around 12 to 15 courses that will last between two-and-a-half to three hours.”
Did You Know that Santa Monica Has a Dog Park Social Club? Dog PPL is a private dog park in Santa Monica @ 3440 Ocean Park that costs $120 a month. To join the members-only club, dogs must pass a temperament test, be up to date on vaccinations and be spayed or neutered at 8 months of age. Once they’re in, they get a safe and clean place to roam off-leash while their humans enjoy the perks typical of modern social clubs: a cafe, bar and concierge; free Wi-Fi and validated parking; lounge areas and work spaces; and a robust calendar of free events. Dog PPL has grown to 1,700 members in the two years since it opened More details at www.dogppl.com
Blood Donation Needs At Emergency Levels: Blood & platelet donors are urgently needed due to a nationwide blood shortage, according to the American Red Cross. All blood types are needed, according to the Red Cross, which says it needs to collect 12,500 units of blood & nearly 3,000 platelet donations a day to ensure 2,500 hospitals nationwide have adequate supplies, Roll Up Your Sleeves and go to 1450 11th St. to donate. More details here.
Down Payment Assistance for First-Time Homebuyers Relaunches with New Lottery: More details here on the program where “The state will give first-time homebuyers money towards a down payment — up to 20% of the purchase price or $150,000, whichever is lower — then it will get paid back the loan plus a share of the home’s appreciation whenever it sells again.”
Development density discussion coming to Council: Council’s first meeting of the New Year delves into some of Santa Monica’s perennial issues (development and rent) but also branches out into new areas of controversy including street parking and the cost of local elections. More details here.
The Street Seen: Elks Lodge Part 2: This week details the history of the Lodge’s 2nd location at 1811 Ocean Avenue @ Pico.
Things To Do This Week:
- Santa Monica Democratic Club Primary Endorsement Meeting (Wednesday 1/31 6:30pm): They will be focused on endorsing the remaining races for the March 2024 ballot. This includes Assembly (AD51), Congress (CD36), State Measure 1, LA County District Attorney, LA County Committee (AD51), and all countywide judicial races. @ Thelma Terry Center (2200 Virginia Ave.) or via Zoom. RSVP here. https://forms.gle/2Mxd1rEkf59V4z68A
- SaMo Public Library Hosts Office Hours with LA Law Library Legal Resource Specialist (Thursday, 2 – 6pm): More details here on the monthly offering.
- Online Banking: What You Need to Know (Thursday, 2 – 6pm): Certified financial coaches from Haven Neighborhood Services share tips for navigating online banking apps, shopping securely online, avoiding scams, and understanding monthly online statements. A Q&A follows the presentation. More details here.
OPA & City Meetings:
- Airport Commission Meeting (Monday 7pm): More details & agenda here.
- Commission on Sustainability, Environmental Justice, and the Environment (Monday 7pm): More details here.
- City Council Meeting (Tuesday 5:30 pm – public portion starts no earlier than 7:00 pm):Meetings are hybrid and can be viewed on this YouTube channel. Click here for agenda.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.