Take Main St. Survey for August Event & Vote on Movie on the Street on October 21: Click here to take the short survey to weigh in and help shape future events.
SaMo Crime Rate Report: This SMDP report summarizes Chief Batistia’s report that explains that 911 calls are down, response times are down, and that encampments are down, while arrests are up significantly.
It’s Hispanic Heritage Month: This City post details many of the activities planned to commemorate the month.
Where To See Bioluminescent Waves In SaMo: This Patch article shares tips on how and where to experience the ephemeral glow of bioluminescent waves.
Main St Releases the Hounds: This SMDP report has some fun photos from last weekend’s Day of the Dog event.
“Santa Monica Dairy Company”: This latest The Street Seen does a deep dive on the company that housed a “herd of 80 cows and a practical monopoly on the milk business along the beach.”
Muir / SMASH update:The city share the following updates with us regarding “upcoming activities related to the ongoing construction on our campus.”:
- MEPF Safe-Off: Starting this week, we will begin the process of safely securing all mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection (MEPF) systems across the campus. This will be followed by interior demolition and abatement activities.
- Tree Removal: Previously planned for an earlier date, the tree removal has now been rescheduled to commence in October.
- Power and Fire Alarm Shutdown: As part of the demolition process, there will be a campus-wide power shutdown, which will also affect the fire alarm system. To ensure safety, a fire watch and security guard will be in place during this period.
- Exterior Demolition and Abatement: The work for exterior demolition and abatement is tentatively set to begin in January. I will provide a more accurate timeline as we approach that date.
DMN8 Gym Opens on at 3101 Main St.: This SMDP article details the opening.
Maui Ohana Donut For a Cause @ Holey Grail Donuts: The Hawaiin born shop is supporting Maui wildfire survivors with a new flavor that is a tropical mix of guava, strawberry, passion fruit, and pineapple with 50% of proceeds going to the Hawaii Ag & Culinary Alliance and Kokua Restaurant and Hospitality Fund for Maui, aiding restaurants and hospitality workers affected by the wildfires. 2441 Main St.
Jeni’s Ice Cream Seasonal Flavors: The Sweet Potato Marshmallow Brûlée ice cream is fun twist on all things pumpkin spice with roasted sweet potatoes, nutmeg and cinnamon, a marshmallow sweet cream swirl, and burnt sugar candies for a caramelized finish. Goodbye summer. Hello fat pants. 540 Rose Ave.
Things To Do This Week:
- An Evening with Cedric the Entertainer @ New Roads School (Monday 7:30pm): He will be discussing his novel, Flipping Boxcars. 3131 Olympic Blvd. More details here.
- Memory & Aging: What You Need to Know (Tuesday 3 – 4pm): Monica Moore, from the Mary S. Easton Center for Alzheimer’s Disease Research at UCLA, discusses how the brain changes with age, the latest research on brain health, and practical tips to stay focused and mentally sharp. Main Library, Multipurpose Room.
- Free Walk-In Legal Clinic (Wednesday 4:30 – 7pm): Santa Monica residents can meet one on one with a lawyer from Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles for help with HOUSING issues. More details here.
- “Cars & Coffee” @ the Water Garden (Thursday 12 – 2pm): This Free event “features a hand-selected group of Lamborghinis on display along with live music, a food truck, a custom floral station and more!” with coffee sold by Dirty Latte Co. 1620 26th St.
- Pier Locals Night (Thursday 3:30-10pm): Expect youth activities, a car show, local DJs and live music from local bands, art exhibits, a Mezcal Tasting, and more! More details here.
OPA & City Meetings:
- Arts Commission Meeting (Monday 6:30pm): In-person only in the SMi Training Room (northwest corner of the 2nd floor of the Civic Center Parking Structure – 330 Olympic Drive).
- Commission on Sustainability, Environmental Justice, and the Environment (Monday 7pm): More details here.
- Architectural Review Board Meeting (Monday 7pm): More details here.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.
- Planning Commission Meeting (Wednesday 6pm): More details & agenda here.