SMPD/OPA Community Safety Meeting TONIGHT April 24 @ 7pm: Here is the Zoom link for tonight’s online only learning session to learn who to call between 911 v 311 v someone else when dealing with public safety issues. Click here to email your interest and questions to Erin who is coordinating the session and click here to add the calendar invite & Zoom link to your calendar.
Santa Monica Rent Control Releases Annual Report: “Rents for new tenancies saw a downward trend during the pandemic and are now showing increases. For 1- and 2-bedroom units, median rents for new tenancies rose 8.7 percent and 13 percent respectively, as compared to a year earlier. The median starting rent for a 1-bedroom unit increased $200 to $2,500, and the median starting rent for a 2-bedroom unit rose nearly $400 to $3,400.” More details here.
Rooftop Cinema Club Coming Soon to a Parking Structure Near You?: The rooftop level of Parking Structure 6 in Downtown Santa Monica could soon be transformed into an outdoor movie theater complete with two large LED screens, a snack stand, bar and 450 seats. More details here.
Councilmembers Concerned About Gender-Neutral Public Restrooms: Several Councilmembers are expressing concerns about supporting an item on Tuesday’s agenda that would require gender-neutral public restrooms in new buildings. More details here.
James Beard Award-Winning Chef Tim Cushman Opens Gogo Ya in SaMo: The new casual eatery opened last week inside Kitchen United Mix on 3rd St Promenade. More details here.
Bludso’s BBQ Coming to SaMo This Summer!: This EaterLA write up shares that The new Bludso’s BBQ will open this June at 1329 Santa Monica Boulevard.
Farmers Market News: CULTIVATE LA is launching a rewards ecosystem in partnership with Values Co. & their first activation will be at the Sunday Santa Monica Main Street Farmers Market to support local farmers and small businesses this weekend. Expect a scavenger hunt, and new ways to connect with local farmers, and win rewards while celebrating sustainable agriculture. More details here.
The Street Seen Covers American artist Richard Diebenkorn’s Main St Studio: This write up discusses the history of the studio at 2448 Main Street.
Ketamine Infusion Therapy Clinic Kure Opens on Wilshire Blvd: This SMDP article details the clinic utilizing ketamine to address root causes of mental and chronic physical health issues.
Things To Do This Week:
- Reframe: City Hall Mural Project Public Feedback Activity Open House (Tuesday 5:30-7:30pm): Join Conservancy staff and board members in the lobby of City Hall to fill out the Reframe: City Hall Mural Feedback Activity. No RSVP or reservations required
- Surf Clam Pop-Up with Tony Messina (Tuesday 5-10pm): As part of Esters’ ongoing Guest Chef Series, we’re inviting James Beard Award-winning and critically-acclaimed Chef Tony Messina. Tony moved from Boston to LA a couple of years ago so he could eventually open The Surf Clam, an east coast-inspired seafood concept. More details here and I will be there.
- Managing Your Money Workshop Series: Building Your Financial Future, Identity Theft, Buying a Home (Wednesday 5-7pm): Hosted by SaMo Public Library, certified financial experts discuss key topics to help community members achieve their financial goals. More details here on this and other library programming.
- Food Trucks Lot @ the Victorian on Main St (Wednesday 5-9pm): Here’s the press release announcing the return of the weekly Food Truck night every Wednesday night at California Heritage Museum starting April 12.
- Mezcal & Chocolate Pairing (Wednesday 6:30pm): Click here to learn more about this Santa Monica Chocolate Society event.
- Active Aging Coffee Chat at Cafe Zella (Thursday 9–11am): Older adults 62+ are invited to join our coffee chat to have a cup of coffee together and chat more about Active Aging Pilot Program, Metro On the Move Riders Club, and Lyft MODE. FREE coffee provided. More details here.
- Other OPA & City Meetings:
- OPA Homeless & Renters Task Force Meetings (Monday 5pm @ Stella Barra): These Task Forces meet the 4th Monday of every month. Click here to email Nick Rolston to learn more.
- City Council Meeting (Tuesday @ 5:30 pm (Public Portion starts closer to 6:30 pm)): Meetings are hybrid and can be viewed on this YouTube channel. Click here for Agenda.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Councilmember Caroline Torosis will be joining to answer questions. Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.
- OPA Main St Task Force Meeting (Wednesday 1pm @ Ashland Hill): This task force addresses issues unique to Main St, such as strengthening the ties between stores & the community, helping shape city policy for the street on issues such as restaurant parklets and zoning, and planning events such as Sharing an Open Main St. Click here to email Robbie Leer for more info or to get involved.