NOTE: We are publishing one issue this week on Wednesday due to MLK holiday.
Main St. Committee Meeting Today/Wednesday 5-6pm @ Ashland Hill:
- The best way to explore getting more involved in the community is to check out a committee meeting! Feel free to just show up or you can click here to email Robbie Leer for more info and be added to the committee mailing list.
- About this committee: We use resident input in supporting businesses and the Farmers Market operating in our business district. Much of this effort last year was partnering with the Main St Business Improvement Association to pitch the city on weekend Open Main St events, plan, and execute them successfully. At our first meeting we are looking for input on what went well/poorly last year and leaders to improve upon the events this year. We also will be using our first meeting of the year to set goals for 2024 and look ahead.
City Issues Request for Letters of Interest for Civic Auditorium Revitalization: This SaMoNext write-up details the SaMo press release detailing how “The city is seeking an individual or entity to lease the site and, through a Disposition and Development Agreement in the form of a long-term ground lease, to renovate, reopen, program and manage the property.”
Satdha Thai on Lincoln Launches Traditional Thai Noodle Bowl Series for Veganuary: More details here on the special menu for the Ocean Park staple @ 2218 Lincoln Blvd.
Main St.’s Second-Hand Clothing Store Buffalo Exchange Closed This Past Sunday: This SMDP write-up details the closing.
Are we ready for the ‘Big One’? Seismologist Dr. Lucy Jones weighs in: Wednesday Jan. 17 marks 30 years since a magnitude 6.7 earthquake rocked Northridge and this video interview discusses what’s changed and not changed since then.
Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Training: There’s still time to sign up! Santa Monica’s Office of Emergency Management shared that “After a couple years hiatus, we are back to organizing our CERT courses and training new members. We are offering a three-day CERT training course on Jan. 20, 27 & Feb. 3. Email OEM@santamonica.gov to learn more.”
Check Out This $24 Million SaMo Home: The 12,400-square-foot home has a Zen koi pond and a Himalayan salt wall. No need to schlep to a five-star spa if you shell out $$$ for this estate. More details and fun pics here.
Holiday Tree Collection (Now through 1/31): Remove all decorations such as tinsel, lights, and stands from the tree and place it curbside or in the alley next to your waste containers for automatic pick-up until Jan. 31. Do not leave trees in parking lots or parks. No 311 request required. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Things To Do This Week:
- It’s Time for Birdwatching (Wednesday 3:30 – 4:30p.m.): Lu Plauzoles, from the Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society, discusses the best season for birdwatching and leads a walk to see the birds of Virginia Avenue Park. Binoculars available to borrow. For all ages. @ Pico Branch Library 2201 Pico Blvd. More details here.
- Pier Locals Night (Thursday 4 – 9pm): This month’s electric musical line-up will take place inside the hippodrome (Merry-go-round), for an incredible indoor winter setting. Expect DJs and live bands, youth activities, classic car show, art exhibits, salsa dancing, complimentary drink tastings, and much more. More details here.
- #dryjanuary Pure Clarity, Mindful Drinking, Mindful Living Experience (Saturday 10a.m. – 5pm): This event is focusing on mindful drinking and mindful living where they’ll dive into the art of alcohol free sipping & living your best life! @ Annenberg Community Beach House, 415 Pacific Coast Hwy. More details here.
- Zuma Cars and Coffee (Sunday 8 – 10am): Expect “Exotic Cars – Hyper Cars – Race Cars – The Unusual.” @ Killer Shrimp Marina Del Rey, 4211 Admiralty Way. More details here.
- Main St. Sunday Farmers Market: Local favorites DJ and the Main Street Jam return to the stage. Sure to shake those winter time blues. See you there.
OPA & City Meetings:
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.
- Free Walk-In Legal Clinic (Wednesday 4:30 – 7pm): Santa Monica residents can meet one on one with a lawyer from Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles for help with HOUSING issues. More details here.
- Main St Committee Meeting (Wednesday 5-6pm at Ashland Hill): This is the first meeting of the year and a great time to explore getting more involved in the community! We are looking for input on what went well/poorly last year and leaders to improve upon the events this year. We also will be using our first meeting of the year to set goals for 2024 and look ahead.
- Planning Commission Meeting (Wednesday 6pm): More details & agenda here.