Highlights & Video Clips from January OPA Monthly Meeting:
- Click here to watch the meeting in it’s entirety
- SaMo Police Department: Here’s the video of their discussion that included sharing crime stats and best practices for reporting crimes. Please save the SMPD Non-Emergency Phone # to your Contacts: 310-458-8491
- Guest Speakers: Kaitlin Drisko & Mario Fonda Bonardi, Santa Monica Conservancy (click here to watch)
- Board Business: Click here to watch the discussion that includes 2024 OPA Exec Board Elections. Congrats to Sean Besser returning as President, Robbie Leer as VP, Patty Tann as Treasurer, and Christina Allen as Secretary!
Learn About Our Main St. and Housing Committees:
- Main St. Committee: Meets the 3rd Wednesday of the month from 5-6pm at Ashland Hill. We use resident input in supporting businesses and the Farmers Market operating in our business district. Much of this effort last year was partnering with the Main St Business Improvement Association to pitch the city on weekend Open Main St events, plan, and execute them successfully. At our first meeting on the 17th we are looking for input on what went well/poorly last year and leaders to improve upon the events this year. We also will be using our first meeting of the year to set goals for 2024 and look ahead.
- Housing (Renters + Homeless) Committee: Meets the 4th Monday of the month from 5-6pm at Alfalfa. We explore, discuss, and inform the board about the interconnected nature of housing; from those experiencing homelessness to homeowners. At our first meeting on the 22nd we welcome those interested in defining goals for 2024. Last year we heard from SMRR, met with LCI (Livable Communities Initiative), and attended forums on what drives Homelessness in LA. We also coordinated with the SMPD to train residents on city services for the homeless and created magnets with phone numbers to take action.
- Reply to this email if you’re interested in getting involved in a committee.
Thanks again to Beach House Cowork for hosting OPA’s Monthly Meeting! They have offered our community a free day pass at their amazing coworking space @ 2219 Main St. Use code “OPA” for a free day! More details here.
Zona Italy Opens on Main St.: This SMDP write-up details the new shop “aiming to bring only the highest quality Italian gourmet products that are made by small family owned companies” at 2400 Main St, where Susu Handbags used to be and Aaron Laundry before that, nestled in-between the Bicycle Service Center and Dolcenero Gelato.
Road Safety Improvements Continue with New Stop Signs & Bike Lanes: This SMDP article details a bevy of road-related and bike safety projects within the City over the final months of 2023 and into 2024 that include turnings the intersections at 5th St. @ Strand & 7th St. @ Hill into four-way stops.
Big Blue Bus Looking for Feedback from SaMo Residents: Completing this short survey (less than 2 minutes) will help them figure out how to improve transit service for riders.
Mental Health Crisis Team Hits Streets: A mental health crisis team was deployed in Santa Monica Monday as part of a pilot program to help, and eventually alleviate, the heavy workload of first responders dealing with the homeless.The three-member team will be available five days a week to assist Police and Fire personnel with calls for service involving “individuals experiencing a mental health crisis,” They can place them into a 72 hour psychiatric hospitalization if they endanger themselves or others. More details here.
Council-Member Jesse Zwick’s January Digest Highlights “Seven Things I’m Proud Of”: Here is a link to his update that includes Council efforts to restore vital services, tackle homelessness, make it easier to do business, and more.
Things to Do This Weekend:
- MLK Holiday Celebration – A Tribute to Harry Belafonte (Thursday 5 – 8pm): “Sing Your Song,” a special free screening of the documentary film on the life and times of the singer/actor/activist with Q&A to follow. @ Santa Monica Library, 601 Santa Monica Blvd. https://www.mlkjrwestside.org
- Garden Open House and MLK Day of Service (Saturday 9 – 11am): “Join us at our oldest Community Garden as someone simply visiting and enjoying a cup of coffee, or put on your work gloves and join us in a Volunteer Day of Service in Honor of Dr. MLK, Jr. To register to volunteer contact Isabel.Filson@santamonica.gov. @ Main St. Community Garden, 2318 Main St.
- Elks Lodge Annual Rummage Sale (Saturday & Sunday 8am – 1pm): Join Santa Monica Elks Lodge for their two-day multi-family Rummage sale extravaganza! Whether you are looking for some fashion finds, unique home decor, or a vast collection of books, DVDs and vintage magazines, they have treasures galore. Event will be indoors so the parking lot will have plenty of room for parking @ 1040 Pico Blvd. More details here.
- The Network Open Mic Night (Saturday 6:30pm): “Come join us for an electric night of LGBTQIA+ talent at our Open Mic Night, where everyone’s unique voices will be celebrated and heard!” More details here.
- Main St. Sunday Farmers Market: Join us this Martin Luther King weekend for the GM Jazz Quartet + 1.
- MLK Westside Coalition Annual Celebration (Monday 9am – 12pm): The theme for 2024 is: “Stop the Hate, Start the Healing”. The event will include inspirational remarks, music and a brief theatrical performance, as well as education awards, a Community Light Award and our new Nat Trives Service Award to be presented to Nat Trives. The Community Involvement Fair will follow immediately after the main celebration. @ SaMo Women’s Bay Club, 1210 4th St. https://www.mlkjrwestside.org