2024 OPA Board Nominees: We’re excited to share that these seven people are running to be on the OPA Board next year: Abe Sassoon, Dave Tann, Erin Mosbaugh, Jeffrey Jarow, Lucy Stone, Robbie Leer, & Will Burrington. Learn more about them here. Election will be the week of our Dec. 9 Holiday Party.
OPA Drawing for an iPad: All paid members will be entered into the drawing at the Dec. 9 Holiday party and all new members and members who pay their 2024 dues between now and then will get an additional entry. Click here to join or pay your 2024 dues now.
OPA Holiday Party Details: Mark your calendar to join us at the Victorian Main Patio Saturday, Dec. 9, from 3pm-5:30pm. More details soon.
State certifies Surplus Land Act compliance for Civic Auditorium: The California Housing and Community Development Department has officially certified the city’s compliance with the Surplus Land Act for the Civic Auditorium site. With the state certification that the Surplus Land Act process is complete, the city could now consider proposals for the site from any interested party. More details here.
Lack of Affordable Housing Construction Undermines Local Development Rules: Santa Monica’s failure to build enough affordable housing has once again jeopardized local control over new development. Local officials said that while they have to comply with the law, they do not think it will have an impact on local development. More details here.
The Victorian & Jameson’s are Top 5 Lyft Destination in All of LA: The rideshare service published where users take the most rides that includes these two Main St. staples. More details here.
Giving Tuesday is a global generosity movement, unleashing the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and their world. For more details, check out givingtuesday.org.
- “Step Up” is a SaMo based organization dedicated to ending homelessness and all gifts on Tuesday, November 28th will be matched up to $50,000. “On this international day of radical generosity, you can have double the impact and help more people like Diamond find their way home. Chronic homelessness and serious mental health disorders continue to rise and disproportionately impact the most vulnerable members of our community. Our goal this year is to raise $100,000 to help provide more permanent supportive housing, wraparound services, and other supports. More details here.
- This SMDP article details how to help other local organizations, including the SaMo Animal Shelter Foundation & the SaMo Pier.
Registration Now Open for 2024 Homeless Count on January 23, 24, and 25: “The annual Homeless Count is an important tool that helps us better understand and address homelessness across LA County. It provides valuable data that guides the deployment of resources, identifies trends, and informs strategies to combat homelessness effectively. Your participation as a volunteer is instrumental in ensuring the success of this initiative.” Visit theycountwillyou.org to learn more and register.
Things To Do This Week & Weekend:
- Game Day for Grownups (Tuesday @ 1pm): Celebrate International Games Month by playing board games at the library. Relax with classic board games or learn about new ones. More details here.
- Coffee & Community Event (FREE): The Starbucks @ Lincoln & Marine is hosting this community event that includes free coffee and holiday tastings, city officials, SMPD, arts & crafts, and much more. Tuesday, Nov. 28, 5-7p.m. @ 3020 Lincoln Blvd.
- Holiday Pet Pageant @ SaMo Ice (Wednesday 7 – 10p.m.): “Get your pup ready to sashay down the runway at our pet paw-rade! Ice at Santa Monica is on the lookout for the most stylishly dressed pooch. Contestants will be judged on costume, strut and overall holiday spirit. Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third place.” https://iceatsantamonica.com/santa-monica-events/
- Tech & Tasks (Thursday 2-4p.m.): Need a little help? This program offers one-on-one assistance from SMPL tutors. Staff and volunteers can assist with reading, writing, and technology related tasks. Drop-in to get help with completing online forms and applications, resume writing, device help, improving reading skills, email, downloading eBooks, and much more. More details here.
OPA & City Meetings:
- Airport Commission Meeting (Monday 7pm): More details & agenda here.
- City Council Meeting (Tuesday 5:30 pm – public portion starts closer to 6:30 pm):Meetings are hybrid and can be viewed on this YouTube channel. Click here for agenda.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.