OPA Nov 13 Monthly Meeting TONIGHT: This month’s meeting will be at the Beach House CoWork (2219 Main St. @ Strand) starting with food and mingling at 6:30pm. We will also be hybrid on Zoom. Here is the Zoom link to join the meeting starting at 7:00pm. Here’s the agenda and here’s schedule:
- 6:30 – 7:00pm: Food, refreshments and mingling
- 7:00 – 7:15pm: SMPD update
- 7:15 – 7:30pm: Allen Issagholian, Street Services Superintendent, discussing Copper Wire Theft
- 7:30 – 7:45pm: Anuj Gupta, SaMo Department of Transportation Director
- 7:45 – 8:30: Board business including recap 2023 Main St. Festivals, 2024 elections, & Dec holiday party.
Beach House Cowork has offered our community a free day pass at their amazing coworking space @ 2219 Main St. Use code “OPA” for a free day!
Calls for Police Service Will Now Be Updated Via Text: This SaMoSurf write up summarizes the SMPD release that explains how callers who request police services in SaMo no longer have to call back to get an update on the incident they reported. SMDP began providing automated text message updates last week to those who request emergency & non-emergency services.
The Street Seen: Venice Fire House (213 Rose Ave @ Main): Here’s the history behind the Firehouse Restaurant, which occupies a former Venice fire house at this location whose exterior is little changed from its 1906 construction.
Several SaMo Eateries Take Home Awards in L.A. Times’ “Best of the Southland” Poll: SaMo Brew Works won for Local Craft Brewery, Santa Monica Seafood Market won for Best Seafood, and LOKL HAUS won Best Coffee House AND Best Brunch, along with finalists Huckleberry, Tartine, Bludo’s BBQ, Rustic Canyon, True Food Kitchen, The Curious Palate, LouLou & more in this list.
Things To Do This Week:
- City Offering Bystander Intervention Training (Monday): More details here on the training during United Against Hate Week.
- Game Day for Grownups (Tuesday 1pm): Celebrate International Games Month by playing board games at the library. Relax with classic board games or learn about new ones. Explore games with words (Nov. 14) and games based on your favorite books (Nov. 28). More details here.
- LA County District Attorney Candidates Debate @ Santa Monica Democratic Club Meeting (Wednesday 6:30pm): Incumbent District Attorney George Gascón & six Democratic challengers will be sharing their views. Doors Open 6:30pm, Program Start 7:00pm @ Thelma Terry Center (2200 Virginia Avenue) OR via Zoom. Register here.
- Coffee and Art with a Cop (Thursday 5-7pm): @ Pico Culture House 3018 Pico Blvd.
- Pier Locals Night (Thursday 3:30-10pm): Expect youth activities, a car show, local DJs and live music from local bands, art exhibits, a Mezcal Tasting, and more! More details here.
OPA & City Meetings:
- Landmarks Commission Meeting (Monday 7pm): More details & agenda here.
- City Council Meeting (Tuesday 5:30pm – public portion starts closer to 6:30pm): Meetings are hybrid and can be viewed on this YouTube channel. Click here for agenda.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.
- Planning Commission Meeting (Wednesday 6pm):More details & agenda here.