Future of SaMo Civic Auditorium Meeting: OPA’s Oct. 9 Monthly Meeting will feature a conversation with speakers from SaveTheCivic.org, SMMUSD, Community Corporation, etc. presenting their perspectives along with an open Q&A. This month’s meeting will be at the Beach House CoWork (2219 Main St. @ Strand) starting at 6pm. Here’s the draft agenda and here’s schedule:
- 6:00 – 6:30pm: Food, refreshments and mingling
- 6:30 – 6:45pm: SMPD update
- 6:45 – 7:45pm: Civic Auditorium Discussion (each group will get up to 5 minutes to present their positions followed up with Q&A) including:
- SMMUSD (represented by Esmeralda (Esmi) Careaga & Carey Upton)
- Community Corp (speaker TBD)
- SaveTheCivic.org (represented by Bea Nemlala and Lori Nafshun)
- 7:45 – 8:30: Board business
Take Main St. Survey for August Event & Vote on Movie on the Street on October 21: Click here to take the short survey to weigh in and help shape future events.
Big Blue Bus to Provide Free Rides During Week of October 2 for California Clean Air Day and Bike It! Walk It! Bus It! More details here, including a link to take the Clean Air Pledge.
Local Rents Rise in September: This Apartment List report states that SaMo rents rose 2.1% in September, but are down 1.4% over the past year while nationwide rents fell 0.5% in Sept and are down 1.2% over the past year.
Proposed Development at 2307 Lincoln @ Pearl:
- This week’s Street Seen write up details the plans for a 7-story, mixed-use building with 69 apartments, ground floor retail, and 2 levels of subterranean parking.
- The project developers are hosting an online Zoom community meeting about the project on Oct. 6 @ 10am. You get the zoom link and learn more about the project at 2307lincoln.com.
Things To Do This Week:
- An Evening with Heather Cox Richardson @ New Roads School (Tuesday 8p.m.): She will be discussing her book “Democracy Awakening: Notes on the State of America” @ 3131 Olympic Blvd. More details here.
- Kids Club @ SaMo Place (FREE Wednesday 11am): “Come play with us on the first Wednesday of every month for a FREE, fun, family-friendly musical morning hosted by Twinkle Time, a bilingual, Billboard pop-artist for kids, and featuring special guests each month.” More details here.
- Banned Books Trivia Bowl (FREE Wednesday 6 – 7p.m.): “Celebrate Banned Books Week and flex your literary knowledge with a pub-style trivia contest! Compete individually or as a team to win prizes and raise awareness about book bans.” More details here.
- “Coming Out West – LGBTQ+ Elders Share Their Stories”: October is LGBT history month and this exhibit let’s viewers “experience the history and empowering journey of eight revered LGBTQ+ elders with ties to Los Angeles and the Santa Monica Bay area.” Ongoing through December @ Santa Monica History Museum, 1350 7th St.
OPA & City Meetings:
- Public Safety Reform & Oversight Commission Meeting (Tuesday 5:30pm): More details & agenda here.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.
- Planning Commission Meeting (Wednesday 6pm): More details & agenda here.
- Housing Commission Meeting (Thursday @ 6pm): Click Here for agenda.