Apologies to the OPA for not getting this up sooner. Information about attending last night’s OPA meeting have been removed, otherwise read below for their weekly newsletter.
Shameless Plug to Join OPA and/or Get Involved: Events like the Main St. Festival don’t program themselves. You can support OPA by joining today and/or joining a committee. Most memberships are $20-$30/year but there is also a $10/year option. CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Next Sharing an Open Main St Festival: Mark your calendars for the weekend of Sept 9-10 for the next weekend when Main St. becomes a pedestrian plaza. Expect a dog gone good time with a lot “Day of the Dog” events.
Civic Auditorium News:
- School District Releases Plans for Civic Auditorium: This SaMoLookout report summarizes the 567 page plan to spend nearly $140MM to make it into a “multipurpose space” that would include a “gymnasium, theater/auditorium, concert venue, exhibit facility, banquet hall and other Samohi, District and community uses.”
- Santa Monica Conservancy: This report entitled “Advocacy Alert: What Are the Options for the Civic Auditorium?” covers the history of the Civic’s closure and possible next steps.
The Street Seen: Water – Private Companies: This week’s write up is the 3rd in a series about Ocean Park’s water supply, and covers City attempts to solve its water crisis by forming its own municipal water department.
Circle Bar Closes For Good: This SaMoMirror report details the closing of the “Legendary Bar That Served Jim Morrison & Truman Capote.”
Things To Do This Week:
- Computer Basics – Organize Your Files & Photos: Organize your Files & Photos: Learn how to organize the files, folders, and photos on your computer and “in the cloud.” Free and open to the public. Seating is limited and on a first arrival basis, no registration required. Wednesday, 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. Main Library’s Computer Training Room, 601 Santa Monica Blvd.
- Venice Art Crawl at Venice Canals: The Venice Art Crawl heads to the historic Venice Canals on Wednesday, August 17th, 2023 from 6pm-10pm, and the combination promises to be a uniquely Venetian celebration! More details here.
- Town Hall Hosted by Phil Brock: The Shores is located at 2700 Neilson Way. The Town Hall will start at 6:30 pm this Wednesday, August 16th, in the North Tower Conference Room.
- FREE Annenberg Community Beach House Sunset Picnic: Grab a picnic dinner, fancy or casual, bring your family and friends, and throw in a game of dominoes or checkers. Enjoy a casual beachfront summer evening with a musical duo vibing in the background and s’mores for dessert. Please, no dogs, glass, or alcohol. More details here. Thursday 5 – 8 p.m.
- Third Thursday at Ten Women Gallery: “Bring a project and get creative at Ten Women Gallery on Main Street every third Thursday of the month. Meet artists, enjoy some delicious snacks and camaraderie and watch a special craft demo! This event is free and open to the public.” More details here. Thursday 6-8:30pm
OPA & City Meetings: