National Night Out This Tuesday: This annual community-building event promotes police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie. Expect FREE music, food, and activities for all ages. SMPD will showcase their various police vehicles and equipment and invite the community to meet police personnel (human and 4-legged alike). The parking structure at Olympic & 4th St. is free that night and Big Blue Bus will be providing free bus rides from 4:30-9:30pm when you mention National Night Out. Tuesday, August 1, 5:30 – 8:30p.m. @ City Hall, 1685 Main St.
SMMUSD Superintendent Dr. Antonio Shelton Entry Plan: Here is his full “90-day entry plan” that includes meeting with district and educational partners, reviewing the budget, meeting with community stakeholders, and more.
Civic Auditorium Updates:
- 1) “Council Ends Negotiations to Sell Civic Auditorium for Affordable Housing”: This SaMoLookout article details that City Council terminated negotiations with Community Corp, Santa Monica’s biggest affordable housing developer, to buy the historic Civic Auditorium and that they are still in talks with the School District regarding possibly buying the historic 1950s building on a site.
- 2) Mayor Gleam Davis shared at OPA Connects last week that previous restoration cost estimates exceeded $100 million.
History of the Masonic Temple Building: This latest Street Seen delves into the history of the building that formerly occupied 158 Marine St. @ Neilson Way.
$600,000 in Wine Stolen from Lincoln Fine Wines in Venice: This LA Times report goes deep on what might be California’s biggest high-end alcohol heist from the same owner of Hague Market in Ocean Park.
Three SaMo neighborhoods are among the “Best Places To Live in America”: More details in this summary of the report from review site Niche recently released its 2023 rankings.
LA Times Food Lists Holey Grail on their “Most Culturally Specific Doughnuts in LA” List: More details here.
Things To Do This Week:
- National Night Out This (Tuesday 5:30 – 8:30p.m. @ City Hall, 1685 Main St.): More details here.
- Kids Club @ SaMo Place (Wednesday 11am): “Come play with us on the first Wednesday of every month for a FREE, fun, musical morning hosted by Twinkle Time, a bilingual, Billboard pop-artist for kids, and featuring special guests each month.” More details here.
- FREE Movie Screening: “Keep it a Secret: The Story of the Dawn of Surfing in Ireland” (Thursday 7pm @ Patagonia): “In the early 1970s, the world class waves of Ireland were uncharted waters for the international surfing community. Amidst the conflict of The Troubles, pioneers in both Dublin and Belfast transcended political hostilities to host the 1972 Eurosurf championship. This look into the unsung history of Ireland’s now world-renowned surf scene details the power of sport to bridge any divide.” More details here and RSVP here. Free drinks and snacks available.
OPA & City Meetings:
- 1) Public Safety Reform & Oversight Commission Meeting (Tuesday 5:30pm): More details & agenda here.
- 2) OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.
- 3) Housing Commission Meeting (Thursday @ 6pm):In person only, in City Council chambers at City Hall. Click Here for agenda.