Final Bowlmor Development (Pico & 3rd St.) Architectural Review Board Hearing Scheduled TONIGHT Monday July 17:
- “This is the final forum for public input.” The ARB purview is limited to assuring that the development “is in good taste, good design, harmonious with surrounding developments, and in general, contributes to the preservation of Santa Monica’s reputation as a place of beauty, spaciousness, and quality.”
- The height, density, unit mix, parking, etc are not under review for the 5-story, mixed-use building including 167 market-rate multi-family units and 19 affordable units.
- Written public comments can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The meeting is hybrid and can be attended in person or via live stream. Oral comments can only be made in person. Check the agenda here.
“Council Member Phil Brock Injured in Tussle With a Homeless Man on the Third Street Promenade Sunday”: “A vagrant was tearing down the ‘Santa Monica is not Safe’ sign. Phil told him to stop….he started throwing stuff at Phil” More details here.
SaMo Tests AI Cameras for Parking Tickets: This KTLA 5 video report highlights how the City is using AI camera tech to ticket cars parked in bus lanes in real time.
Ocean Park in SaMo v Ocean Park in Venice: A two part Street Seen explains the complicated and confusing histories of the two Ocean Parks. Here is part one explaining the SaMo history and here is part two that explains the Venice version.
What’s Next Episode 7 with Democractic Club President Jon Katz: This podcast episode discusses a variety of issues including the club’s process for evaluating candidates, their membership, political campaign rules, and much more.
Good Morning America Dives into Summer at the SaMo Pier: This GMA video story highlights our landmark.
Local Food & other Business News:
- Main St.’s Go Get Em Tiger makes LA Times’ List of LA’s Best Coffee Shops: Main Street is known for having the most coffee shops in Santa Monica, and this list highlights GGET.
- Barnes & Noble is Returning to Santa Monica: This SMDP report details its planned store on the 1300 block of the Promenade.
- See Inside the New SaMo Bludso’s BBQ: This SaMo Mirror video story highlights what I think might be the best BBQ in LA.
Things To Do This Week:
- An Evening with Author Lisa See (Tuesday 6-7p.m. @ Main Library (601 Santa Monica Blvd.)): “Renowned author Lisa See speaks on her process and the research behind her new book Lady Tan’s Circle of Women, one of this year’s Santa Monica Reads selections.” More details here.
- Computer Basics Class at SaMo Public Library (Wednesday, 2-3:30p.m.): Introduction to Online Shopping: Learn how to find deals and safely shop online. Free and open to the public. Seating is limited and on a first arrival basis, no registration required. More details here.
- Active Aging Multimodal Outing (Thursday 1-3p.m.): It “provides a comprehensive experience of walking, biking, and taking transit in one set for older adults. This outing is not only a fun group hangout but also shares tips for seamless transferring between different modes of active transportation.” More details here.
- FREE Sunset Picnic @ Annenberg Community Beach House (Thursday 5-8p.m): “Pack your favorite picnic dinner, fancy or casual, bring your family and friends, and your fun activities — games, dominoes, checkers. Enjoy a fun, casual beachfront summer evening with a musical duo vibing in the background and S’mores for dessert. (no glass or alcohol are allowed).” More details here.
- SaMo Chamber of Commerce Politics & Cocktails with Assemblymember Zbur (Thursday 5:30p.m.): “Join us in a conversation about State of California issues that impact businesses with Assemblymember Rick Chavez Zbur.” Cost is $25. More details here.
OPA & City Meetings:
- OPA Renter/Homeless Task Force Meeting Monday, July 24 @ 6 pm (Stella Barra): Email Robbie or Nick to learn more.
- Arts Commission Meeting (Monday @ 6:30pm): Meetings are held, in-person, in the SMi Training Room, located on the northwest corner of the 2nd floor of the Civic Center Parking Structure (330 Olympic Drive, Santa Monica, CA 90401).
- Architectural Review Board Meeting (Monday 7pm): More details here.
- Commission on Sustainability, Environmental Justice, and the Environment (Monday 7pm): More details here.
- City Council Meeting (Tuesday @ 5:30 pm – Public Portion starts closer to 6:30 pm): Meetings are hybrid and can be viewed on this YouTube channel. Click here for agenda.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar. Mayor Gleam Davis is expected to join this week.
- Planning Commission Meeting (Wednesday @ 6pm): More details & agenda here.