Invite to Attend OPA In Person Monthly Meeting TONIGHT: Join us on Alfafa’s back patio @ 2309 Main St Monday July 10 @ 6:30pm! Salads provided by OPA. We will also be hybrid on Zoom. Click here to add to your calendar. Here is the Zoom link to join the meeting starting at 7:00pm. Here is the schedule:
- 7:00-7:15: Guest – SMPD: Update on recent work
- 7:15-7:30: Guest – Michele Wittig: Santa Monica Coalition for Police Reform; For reference, here is a letter to the SMDP editor that she coauthored with the SaMo-Venice NAACP President and here is a brief history of the Santa Monica Coalition for Police Reform.
- 7:30-7:45: Guest – Karen Reitz: Santa Monica Public Library
- 7:45-8:30: Board Agenda, including Sharing an Open Main St planning
Sharing an Open Main St Update: Mark your calendars now for the weekends of August 12-13, September 9-10, and October 21-22! We need community members to get involved to help plan our annual celebration. Click here to email Robbie Leer, join tonight’s OPA meeting, or simply reply to this email to learn more.
First Cannabis Dispensary in Santa Monica Opens: This SaMo Mirror video report highlights Local Cannabis Company at 925 Wilshire Blvd, which is limited to medical use-only.
AR Tour Shows What Santa Monica Looked Like Before the I-10 Freeway: A User Can See History Come to Life Through Archival Photos, Audio and Descriptions of History. More details here.
The Street Seen: The Other Power House – Sunset Avenue, Venice: This Street Seen takes “an excursion into Venice … to the former Los Angeles Pacific Railway electric trolley depot between Main & Pacific from Sunset to Thornton.”NBC Channel 4 Video Profile of the Crow Comedy Workshop Teaching Comedy for a Good Cause: This report details ‘Storyectomy’, a free six-week comedy workshop to help cancer survivors thrive.
Local Food & other Business News:
- More Details on VP Kamala Harris’ Visit to Alfalfa: This SMDP article explains how she was highlighting how small businesses have fared under the “Bidenomics” program.
- The Victorian (2640 Main St) Summer Season Schedule: All three floors will each have their own DJ playing at weekends plus an extensive wine, craft cocktail and a Mediterranean-influenced classic American menu makes it a favorable spot for weekday happy hours and weekend brunch. Thurs-Sat the venue is open to 2 a.m. More details here.
- Camp Los Angeles Opens Yoga, Pilates & Fitness Campus at 2723 Lincoln Blvd: They offer “hundreds of different classes each week in its tastefully designed, au natural-themed 8,000 sq ft site that incorporates four bespoke studios across three buildings with an additional parking lot.” More details here.
- Toolbox Nails (2665 Main St): This new nail salon “was conceived to help men make nail care part of their regular routine by creating an elevated and welcoming space that emphasizes relaxed luxury and comfort and style.” More details here.
Things To Do This Week:
- Weekly Assistance with Nutrition and Health Care Access Available at Virginia Avenue Park (Tuesday 9:30am-5pm): The trained Providence St. John’s staff will assist with enrollment in CalFresh, the State of California’s food subsidy program created to improve nutrition through access to healthy foods. Staff will also help community members navigate enrollment and questions for MediCal and Medicare. More details here on the program running every Tuesday.
- LA Housing Forum (Tuesday, July 11 7:30pm) Alleviating the Housing Crisis: Where’s the Money?: KCRWs Anna Scott is exploring the city’s housing crisis this summer from a range of perspectives, untangling this complex, but ultimately solvable issue. This is the 3rd of four monthly forums at the Hammer Museum in Westwood. Admission is free. More details here
- Computer Basics Class at SaMo Public Library (Wednesday, July 12 (Class) and July 19 (Open Lab), 2-3:30p.m.): Introduction to Online Shopping: Learn how to find deals and safely shop online. Free and open to the public. Seating is limited and on a first arrival basis, no registration required. More details here.
- World of Barbie “Sips After Sunset” After-Hours Drinking Event for Adults (Thursday 7:30 p.m.): The adults-only evening offers themed beverages and bites and exclusive after-hours access to the World of Barbie. Themed drinks include the Pink Drink, the Malibu Sunset, Prosecco and Rose. https://feverup.com/m/128422
OPA & City Meetings:
- Landmarks Commission Meeting (Monday 7pm): More details & agenda here.
- City Council Meeting (Tuesday @ 5:30 pm (Public Portion starts closer to 6:30 pm)): Meetings are hybrid and can be viewed on this YouTube channel. Click here for agenda.
- Public Safety Reform & Oversight Commission Meeting (Tuesday 6pm): More details & agenda here.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.
- Library Board Meeting (Thursday 6pm): More details & agenda here.
- Rent Control Board Meeting (Thursday 7pm): More details & agenda here.