AIDS/LifeCycle 2023 Finish Line Festival Coming to OP This Saturday: About 10,000 people are expected to help celebrate the cyclists and roadies as they finish their 7 day / 545 mile journey from SF @ Beach Parking Lot 4 South (2030 Ocean Ave). Click here to volunteer (I am working the 1-5pm shift if you want to join me) and more details here.
Preview of OPA Monthly Meeting Agenda Monday June 12 6:30pm @ Alfalfa:
- SMPD: Police Chief Batista will be attending in person to discuss all things law enforcement.
- 4th of July Parade: It is less than a month away and we need volunteers to help with planning. CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP OR VOLUNTEER!
- Sharing an Open Main St is Back! Mark your calendars now for the weekends of August 12-13, September 9-10, and October 21-22! We need community members to get involved to help plan our annual celebration. Click here to email Robbie Leer or simply reply to this email to learn more.
How to Report Code Enforcement Issues: Daniel Mick is the City’s new Code Enforcement Manager and spoke at OPA Connects this week. He spoke candidly about the team’s work to get better on top of following up on 311 reports and how to improve code enforcement overall. Here’s what he recommended:
- Non-time sensitive issues: Report to 311
- Time sensitive issues during normal business hours: Call the code enforcement office at 310-458-4984 x5367 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Time sensitive issues at night over the weekend: Call SMPD
Compost Giveaway at City Yards (2500 Michigan Ave) on Saturday & Sunday, June 10-11, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.! They are also giving away a FREE food scrap kitchen OR freezer pail to help you recycle your food waste. One per household and while supplies last. Please bring gloves and containers if you’re picking up compost. Santa Monica residents ONLY. For questions call Customer Service at (866) 311-7266, or e-mail the Zero Waste Team.
What to Eat?
- Cobi’s on Main Street Recognized by the Michelin Guide: This post from The Michelin Guide details Cobi’s being among the new additions to the California list of Michelin recognized restaurants.
- Resy’s The June Hit List Includes Two New SaMo Restaurants: Mon Ami & Bar Monette (both in downtown SaMo) topped this list!
- Pasjoli Launching New Tasting Menu: This Eater LA write up details “Chef Dave Beran’s 12-course Dégustation at Pasjoli features heavy French and some seasonal Japanese influences.” The menu launches June 8 and costs $195/person.
- The Infatuation’s “Best Sandwich Shops In LA” Praises Bay Cities & Lady & Larder: Of course this list includes perpetual Westside favorites as Bay Cities and Gjusta, but it also praises Lady & Larder @ 828 Pico saying its “secret sandwich menu makes it a top priority for your lunch rotation.” “You can’t go wrong with the Day Dreamer slathered with fromage blanc and thinly sliced turkey, or the Yes, Honey with sweet ham, mustard pickle relish, and a heaping pile of shredded cheddar.”
SMPD Offering a Spanish Community Academy: Click here to learn more about the academy starting July 12th.
Solid Waste Rates Set to Rise: Single-family customers in SM could see their bi-monthly solid waste bill rise over the next five years — from about $84 to $141. More details here.
Things To Do This Weekend:
- Juneshine 5th Anniversary Party (Friday 12p.m. – 12a.m.): The Event Includes Live Performances by Vinyl DJs and other musicians, food trucks, custom onsite chain stitching, a DIY tie-dye station for customizing your own creations, and much more. More details here.
- FREE ICE CREAM ALERT: Gelson’s to Celebrate Ice Cream With “Mango Split” Event (Friday 2:30p.m. – 5 p.m.): They promoting their own brand ice cream by offering a limited-time Mango Split, featuring slices of mango over a combination of chocolate and vanilla twist soft-serve, drizzled with luscious mango purée and topped with vibrant rainbow sprinkles. More details here.
- Community Garden Open House (Saturday 9a.m. – 11a.m.): Come tour the Main Street Community Garden with complimentary refreshments and conversations with Community Gardeners. “Looking to get answers to some gardening questions? Need some summer vegetable seeds to get started? This is the place and time to get these handled.”
- Kidical Mass Rainbow Ride for Pride (Saturday 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.): The City is partnering with Santa Monica Spoke to celebrate Pride Month with cyclists of all ages. Learn and practice rules of the road and safe biking skills by attending the Rainbow Ride for Pride starting at Memorial Park. More details and RSVP HERE.
- Rosé on Rose Wine Fest (Saturday 12p.m. – 7p.m.): Spend your afternoon sipping on rosé, getting tastings from Rose Ave eateries, listening to live music, checking out local vendors, and more. More details here on the event raising funds for the Venice Family Clinic.
- The Sandlot @ Street Food Cinema Will Rogers State Historic Park (Saturday 6p.m.): LA’s largest outdoor cinema and music series is back for another season around town with this dog friendly event on the Westside that includes food trucks and live music.”Goldstar discount tickets here.
- Sunday Main St Farmers Market: Join us this Sunday for Jazz at the Main Street Farmers Market this Sunday at 10am-1pm featuring the GM Jazz Quartet! And a very special guest, Mayor Gleam Davis!
- Chess Tournament on Third Street Promenade (Sunday 11a.m. – 3p.m.): More details here on the kick off for “Chess Sundays.” “Bring a friend or meet a new one for some casual chess play every Sunday through the summer.”
- Beach Clean Up (Sunday 9a.m.): Nearby Venice Beach-owned and operated surf lifestyle brand Saba Surf is wrapping up the week by hosting a Southern California-wide beach cleanup on Sunday. Those who choose to participate will get the chance to win prizes like a month’s supply of Saba Surf wax and entry into a surfboard giveaway. People all across SoCal are invited to participate, but the official meetup with at the Venice Breakwater at 9 a.m. More details here.
- Queer Prom @ Santa Monica Bay Women’s Club (Monday 7p.m.): The theme is astrology and mythology. Click here for tickets or click here to email Genevieve to support or volunteer.
- Local Photographer Bernard Wolf Exhibit @ California Heritage Museum: Check out Nocturnal-Botanica now until Aug 20. More details here.
- Made with PRIDE Marketplace is open every Friday through Sunday in June on the first floor of Santa Monica Place featuring over a dozen LGBTQ+ business owners. More information about the Marketplace and makers can be found here.