Mainopoly is THIS Weekend: The 8th Annual “A Taste of Main Street” event is this Saturday (May 27) from 1-5pm with an after party at The Victorian from 5-7pm. More details & tickets here on the “culinary tasting tour and real-life board game adventure all-in-one!”
State Supreme Court to Hear SaMo District Election Case: Court sets June 27 to hear the case regarding replacing current at-large Council elections with voting districts that was filed in June 2016 by local Latino activist Maria Loya and the Pico Neighborhood Association. More details here.
“How [SaMo] Is (Slowly) Turning Into Amsterdam”: This YouTube video report does a deep dive on SaMo building out its bike lane infrastructure.
Get to Know Circuit (Those Golf Cart Looking Vehicles): This is actually a FREE rideshare company where you can order a local ride through their app. More details here.
New “Infatuation Hit List” Includes Isla on Main St and Le Great Outdoor at Bergamot Station: LGO is “an order-at-the-grill dinner spot in the Bergamot Station parking lot where meat, fish, and veggies are cooked right in front of you.” More details here.
Report Makes Case for Universal Fareless Transit at Metro: This Streetsblog Los Angeles report makes the case that universal fareless transit makes fiscal sense, makes transit safer, and advances equity.
New Federal Funding for Homelessness: The White House has chosen the city of LA as one of six sites across the country to participate in a new federal initiative to reduce homelessness in the U.S. by 25% over the next two years. More details here.
Looking for a New Volunteer Opportunity to Help the Homeless Community? Sign up to volunteer with Chrysalis, an organization that helps people prepare for, find, and keep jobs. Sign up here to volunteer.
FAA Aviation Noise Policy – Webinar & Deadline for Public Comments: The FAA is currently reviewing the existing noise policy that addresses aircraft noise and the remediation principles allowed under federal law. Additionally, the FAA is hosting a series of webinars to provide information and answer questions regarding the policy update. The FAA is also inviting public comment on the matter and will consider this input as they update the noise policy. The next webinar is scheduled for Today (Thursday, May 25) @ 1pm. The last day to submit comments is July 31, 2023. More details here.
Things To Do This Weekend:
- Jokes, Jazz, & Validation (Friday 8pm): The Crow at Bergamot Station is hosting “a night of sweet jazz and smooth jokes.” More details here.
- Mothers and Sons – A Play by Terrence McNally (Friday & Saturday 8p; Sunday 2pm): Katharine Gerard, who lost her son to AIDS 20 years ago, pays a surprise visit to the NY apartment of Cal, her late son’s ex-partner. More details here.
- Ballet at the Broad Stage Memorial Weekend: Here’s a SaMo Mirror video report entitled “Meet the Talent!”
- 626 Night Market Mini Returns (Saturday & Sunday 1-10pm): The downtown SaMo snack around pop-up is back every other weekend this Spring at the corner of Arizona and 5th with three dozen rotating local food pop-ups, curated by the 626 Night Market team, merchandise & craft vendors, and a full bar. More details and FREE tickets here. Video preview here.
- Sunday Main St Farmers Market: Looking for a chill way to spend the Memorial Day weekend? Here’s what’s happening this weekend: Lazy Dog Mountain Band at 10am; Kids’ Jam with Bach to Rock at 9am; and a SoundBath with Kiki at 12pm. Remember to bike to the market and get a market buck!
- Kids Wellness Day at AZ I AM Includes Free Classes (Sunday 1-4pm): “Bring your Kids for a Day of Wellness! Celebrating Mental Health Awareness Month, Free Yoga, Dance, Meditation, Sound Bath, Book Readings!” More details and sign up here.
- FREE Freaky Friday Movie Night on the Lawn @ Jamaica Bay Inn in Marina Del Rey (Sunday 7pm): You can bring your lawn chair or blanket every Sunday throughout the summer. More details here.
- A Conversation with Award Winning AuthorHeather McGhee of “The Sum of Us” (Monday 6–7pm): Join the community discussion of Heather McGhee’s nonfiction book which illustrates how racism is harmful to everyone and makes the argument that we all have an interest in fighting it. Register in advance for this meeting via Zoom.