Preview of OPA Monthly Meeting THIS Monday April 10 6:30pm @ Alfalfa: Here’s the draft agenda and guest speakers include:
- Peter James: Chief Operations Officer of the City of Santa Monica Public Works Dept providing an update on the City’s zero waste efforts and the Solid Waste Rate Study and raising awareness of the Airport Conversion planning effort and invite feedback on ways to best conduct outreach
- Cathy Taylor: SMFD Fire Prevention Coordinator
‘Don’t Buy Bunnies!’ SoCal Rescue Groups Plea For Easter Respite: Rabbit rescue groups bluntly warn that ‘baby Easter bunnies’ for sale are typically weaned too early and die or go on to live in neglect. More details here.
COVID 19 Emergency Declaration Officially Ends in LA County: The emergency declaration over COVID 19 ended in LA County last week, just over three years after it first went into effect in March 2020. More details here.
Ocean Park Considered Among the ‘Best’ Places to Live: This KTLA report on the “Niche” rankings have Ocean Park at #31 on the list and SaMo City Center at #6.
Proposal Would Allow Use of Section 8 Vouchers for Shared Housing: City Council considering allowing vouchers to be used to rent rooms in shared housing such as CoLiving or pooling together with people to rent a multi-bedroom apartment. More details here.
AIDS/LifeCycle Finish Line Festival in Ocean Park June 10: Organizers are looking for volunteers interested in helping out and local businesses interested in participating. Click here to email the team in charge of the event.
Isla, from Crudo e Nudo Team, Now Open on Main St: This EaterLA article details the new project that “leans into skewers, fire, and lots of cocktails and wine” in the old Fork in the Road space @ 2424 Main St.
Tacos 1986 Now Open in Downtown SaMo: Obama and others have famously visited the downtown hole spot and now they’ve expended their tasty Tijuana inspired street tacos to our ‘hood @ 135 Colorado. More details here.
Things To Do This Weekend:
- FREE Catalytic Converter Etch & Catch at Firestone (Thursday 7-9pm: Email Halima at SMPD if interested (Halima.Barreto@santamonica.gov).
- Soil Mycology Workshop (Saturday 9 – 11am @ Main Street Community Garden): James Oliver, mycologist and soil researcher, will discuss and show the soil microbiome and how it should be nurtured. Workshop starts at 10 am. Refreshments and garden walk through from 9 am. Click here for more on the community gardens program and here is a recent SMDP article about local gardening and composting.
- Project Save Our Surf Beach Clean Up (Saturday 11am-1pm): Project Save Our Surf returns to Tower 26 to clean the beach. Buckets, gloves and light snacks will be provided. More details here.
- LA Meetup at Heavy Handed + Walk to the Santa Monica Pier (Saturday 1pm): “F riendship, Fitness, Fries, & Clear Skies – the perfect ingredients for an LA meetup in Santa Monica.” More details here.
- Deep Exhale 10 year Anniversary Yoga Dance Celebration (Saturday 6:30pm): Deep Exhale turns 10! Come celebrate a decade of yoga, dance, music, creativity, & love. More details here.
- Sunday Main St Farmers Market: The market will be open for Easter at 8:30am with the GM Jazz Quartet and an Easter Bunny Hunt from 10am-1pm.